The AVICOM Committee has a varied mission that is:
- to advise museums and make museum professionals aware of and better informed about the usefulness and potential of audiovisual and new technologies, in terms of education, information, promotion and business activities;
- to recommend that audiovisual technologies be included in equipment, operating and cultural event budgets;
- to study the legal and financial framework with respect to images, sound, audiovisual and multimedia productions as well as cable and microwave network broadcasts;
- to survey institutions, collections, techniques, outputs and productions, as well as databases and data banks;
- to promote knowledge of the conservation methodologies for all kinds of audiovisual and digital records;
- to promote knowledge of the history of techniques, and to encourage the creation of exchange networks and the study of how audiovisual technologies are used.
A general meeting of the Committee is held every year in a different host country, on a specific theme and including a variety of events (symposia, professional days, festival). A useful tool not only for information but as a way of encouraging debate and exploration.