Created in 1946, ICOM (International Council of Museums) is the only international organisation representing museums and museum professionals on a global level.
ICOM is an international non-governmental organisation maintaining formal relations with UNESCO. Within the United Nations, ICOM has a consultative status with the Economic and Social Council.
- A diplomatic forum made up of representatives from 137 countries and territories.
- Standards of excellence for museums including ethics (ICOM Code of Ethics for Museums).
- A unique international network of more than 30,000 museum professionals around the world.
- A think-tank composed of 31 International Committees which represent museums’ specialties.
- Missions of international public service notably in the fight against illicit traffic of cultural property and emergency programmes in case of natural disasters or armed conflicts.